You'd be forgiven for thinking it's all about London 2012 this summer. However, here at Frontier we wanted to spread the Olympic joy far-and-wide. That's why we've planned the 2012 Frontier Olympics for Frontier camps to run simultaneously with the London games at the end of July. Here's a guide to the games and details of how you can get involved.
The Frontier Olympics 2012 will consist of 6 events in all. Each camp involved in the games will split itself into teams. Members from each team will compete against one another with a gold medal being awarded to the winner. At the end of the games, all gold medals will be counted with the overall winning team being that with the highest medal count. Game on!
1. Piggy-Barrow Race:
- Each team must select two members to compete in this gruelling opening event.
- Bringing together a brace of all-time classics, the Piggy-Barrow consists of two legs.
- The first leg will see one team member carry their team-mate piggyback-style to the line.
- A swap in roles will see the carrier become the carried in the return leg, where the pair will take to the wheelbarrow position.
- First team across the finish line will be awarded the Piggy-Barrow gold medal.
2. Obstacle Course
- A perilous obstacle course will be constructed utilising objects from around camp (see illustration).
- Every team member will then complete the course in relay fashion, high-fiving the next in line to signal completion of a leg.
- The first team to have all members complete the course will be crowned Obstacle Course champions and awarded the gold medal.
3. Backwards Long Jump
- One member of each team will be selected to participate in the Backwards Long Jump. Having completed various test runs of this event, hilarious photos are almost guaranteed.
- Participants will run backwards towards a 'leap-line' before launching themselves as far as possible.
- Measurements should be taken from the landing foot closest to the 'leap-line'.
4. Sumo Wrestle
- Two members from each team must be selected to compete in the Sumo Wrestle.
- A round robin format will be undertaken, where all participants will face every other wrestler excluding their team mate.
- A circular arena will be marked on the ground into which the pair of fighters will enter.
- The fight will commence after both warriors bow and take turns in performing a ceremonial dance.
- A bout is won when a competitor forces their opponent out of the ring (any contact outside the ring is game over).
- Each bout will be a best-of-three contest.
- Results will be recorded with the team scoring the most wins overall being awarded the gold medal.
- Tie-break situations may be decided with a final best-of-three encounter with either of the team's entrants.
5. Leap Frog Relay Race
- The final (official) event of the Frontier Olympics 2012 is the Leap Frog Relay Race.
- Every team member must simply leap frog every one of their team mates.
- Once a participant has leaped the whole team and shouted "Go next frog", the person at the end of the queue can begin.
- The team to finish the whole process first will be awarded the gold medal.
6. Flip Flop Fling
- This is your chance to get involved in the very planning of the Frontier Olympics 2012. We want your ideas for the 6th event.
- If you've got an idea, head over to the Frontier Official Facebook page and post a comment. You only have until midnight this Sunday (24th June) to get your entry in. Don't forget to SHARE your post too, so all your friends and fam,ily can get involved!!
- Our favourite will not only get their event played by all participating Frontier camps, but will also recieve a lovely snuggly Frontier hoodie for your efforts.
- REMEMBER: Events must be suitable for all Frontier camps. Ideas involving little or no equipment are therefore best and most likely to win.
- Good luck and get thinking!
- This competition is now closed. Congratulations to Martin Rayner who suggested the Flip Flop Fling.